30 people in Iran face death penalty after protests, Amnesty says
A death sentence has been passed in eight cases, while two minors are among the 22 other cases before the courts

A death sentence had already been passed in eight cases, the organisation reported on Friday.
Among the 22 other cases before the courts, two men were still minors, Amnesty said. The Iranian judiciary has not officially confirmed any of the death sentences.
However, a week ago, the Misan news agency, which is linked to the authorities, reported on a trial in which three men could face the death penalty after taking part in riots.
Amnesty accuses the Iranian leadership of using the death penalty to suppress dissent.
“The Iranian authorities are once again laying bare the depth of their disregard for the right to life and justice by threatening expedited executions and imposing death sentences in fast-tracked trials, only weeks after arrest,” said Diana Eltahawy, deputy regional director for the Middle East.
“In weaponising the death penalty, they are seeking to instil fear and crush the spirit of a population demanding fundamental change,” she added.