Indonesia’s Bali vows to become waste-free in 2 years
A sustainable waste management facility which can convert rubbish to energy is in the works for the resort island

Provincial governor I Wayan Koster confirmed last week that the aim was to make the island waste-free by 2027.
“One of the urgent priorities is to make Bali free from waste. The target is within two years, the sooner, the better,” he told The Bali Sun newspaper.
The two-year deadline was mentioned by environment minister Hanif Nurofiq on March 24 during a site inspection for a proposed waste management facility on the island.
The facility is expected to include a waste-to-energy function to support sustainability, according to local media Nusa Bali.

“We hope that this pressure will allow Bali to lead the charge on waste management,” Gary Bencheghib, co-founder of local environmental group Sungai Watch, said in a social media post.