-
Advertisement
Chen Yuxi
SportOther Sport

Chinese diving star Chen Yuxi says she has received threats, denies she ‘has connections’

Olympic champion says in a tearful 10-minute video interview she has also faced online abuse, ‘doxxing’ and people trying to cause rifts

Reading Time:3 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
China diving star Chen Yuxi, who was named World Aquatics’ 2025 Female Diver of the Year earlier this month, released an interview on her social media accounts on Wednesday. Photo:  Screenshot
Stephy Zhang

Chen Yuxi, the 20-year-old Olympic diving champion, has opened up on social media about facing online abuse, being threatened with doxxing and people trying to create a rift within the Chinese diving team.

Chen also spoke out against claims that she has special “connections” in the sport through her family.

The video was released on her social media accounts on Wednesday after Chen was named World Aquatics’ 2025 Female Diver of the Year earlier this month.
Advertisement

Chen won the accolade after a return to form following a difficult period in the wake of the Paris Olympics last year.

In Paris, she won gold in the 10m synchronised platform with Quan Hongchan. She also won silver in the individual 10m platform event, but faced intense public pressure and injuries afterwards and had to deal with online abuse.

Chen Yuxi and Quan Hongchan won the synchronised 10m platform event at the World Cup Super Final in Beijing in May. Photo: EPA-EFE
Chen Yuxi and Quan Hongchan won the synchronised 10m platform event at the World Cup Super Final in Beijing in May. Photo: EPA-EFE

At the Diving World Cup Super Final in Beijing in May and at the Singapore World Championships in July, Chen won gold in the women’s 10m platform, synchronised 10m and mixed team events.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x