Advertisement
LIV Golf
SportGolf

Player equity, fewer events at heart of LIV Golf plan for post-PIF future

League’s investment bankers will begin formally presenting plan to potential backers on Thursday, sources say

2-MIN READ2-MIN
Listen
LIV Golf will need buy-in from the likes of Jon Rahm if the league is to survive long term. Photo: AFP
Josh Ball

LIV Golf’s plan for its post-PIF future includes player equity, a scaled-back league of just 10 events, and a model seeking up to US$350 million in new investment.

The league’s banker, Ducera Partners, was expected to begin formally presenting a business plan to potential backers on Thursday, sources close to the move told the South China Morning Post.

Reports had swirled in recent days that with Saudi Arabia’s Private Investment Fund pulling its support at the end of the year, LIV was laying the groundwork to file for bankruptcy in the US.

Advertisement

However, a source with knowledge of the league’s plans denied that had ever been the case and claimed there was “significant inbound interest that had only grown in recent days”.

Any plan would need the backing and continued participation of the likes of Jon Rahm and Bryson DeChambeau, and a source said there had been “positive feedback” from players and team officials as next steps were discussed over the course of the past week.

LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil at LIV Golf Virginia. Photo: AFP
LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil at LIV Golf Virginia. Photo: AFP

Rahm, the Legion XIII captain, said before LIV Golf Virginia last month that it was not “about one person agreeing or not”.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x