-
Advertisement
Canada
WorldUnited States & Canada

Canada launches huge defence plan to curb reliance on Trump’s US

Prime Minister Mark Carney has become one of the most prominent global voices criticising the US president’s administration

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
17
Prime Minister Mark Carney (right) tours CAE Inc facilities in Montreal on Tuesday. Photo: The Canadian Press via AP
Agence France-Presse
Prime Minister Mark Carney on Tuesday launched a multibillion-dollar plan to strengthen the Canadian military and rely less on the United States.
Carney’s announcement of Canada’s first defence industrial strategy built on themes he has emphasised throughout his 11-month tenure as President Donald Trump rips through traditional US alliances.
The prime minister says Canada has not done nearly enough to defend itself in an increasingly dangerous world and counting on US protection is no longer viable.
Advertisement

“We’ve relied too heavily on our geography and others to protect us,” Carney said.

“This has created vulnerabilities that we can no longer afford and dependencies that we can no longer sustain,” he said.

Advertisement

Carney has become one of the most prominent global voices criticising Trump’s administration, notably after his speech at the World Economic Forum last month where he said Trump had triggered a “rupture” in the rules-based global order.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x