‘A million people’ expected to flee as Israel prepares to seize Gaza City
Military chief says Israeli troops are already ‘intensifying our combat operations’, despite global concern for civilians

Israel estimates that its imminent offensive on Gaza City would displace one million Palestinians, a senior military official said on Wednesday, as Gaza’s civil defence reported dozens killed across the territory.
In Jerusalem, meanwhile, hundreds of Israeli protesters took to the streets to call for a truce and hostage release deal after nearly two years of war.
Israel’s military has been building up its forces for the planned operation to seize Gaza City, the Palestinian territory’s largest urban centre located in its northern part, despite mounting global concern for Palestinian civilians suffering dire humanitarian conditions.
Military chief Eyal Zamir said troops were already “intensifying our combat operations”, according to an army statement.

The senior official from COGAT, the Israeli defence ministry body that oversees civil affairs in the Palestinian territories, said “approximately 70,000” Palestinians had already left Gaza’s north in recent days, fleeing the Israeli advance.