Israel’s Netanyahu delays prisoner release amid Hamas’ ‘humiliating ceremonies’
The move comes after Hamas released six Israeli captives, but Israel failed to reciprocate, prompting accusations of a Gaza truce violation

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday that freeing Palestinian prisoners under the Gaza ceasefire deal will be delayed until Hamas ends its “humiliating ceremonies” while releasing Israeli hostages.
Since the ceasefire came into effect on January 19, Hamas had released 25 Israeli hostages in well-rehearsed handovers, with masked militants parading the captives on stage and forcing them to wave at Gazans gathered to watch.
In the seventh scheduled prisoner-hostage swap, Hamas released six Israeli captives on Saturday while Israel put off releasing Palestinian prisoners. The Palestinian militant group called the move a “blatant violation” of the truce deal.
Israel had been expected to release more than 600 Palestinian prisoners.

“In light of Hamas’ repeated violations – including the disgraceful ceremonies that dishonour our hostages and the cynical use of hostages for propaganda – it has been decided to delay the release of terrorists”, Netanyahu’s office said in a statement.
The delay will last “until the release of the next hostages is ensured, without the humiliating ceremonies”, it added.