-
Advertisement
Americas and the Caribbean
WorldAmericas

7 children killed in air strike against Colombia rebel group, officials say

The minors were forcibly recruited and used as human shields by the Farc-EMC group, ombudswoman Iris Marin says

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
A police officer stands in front of a building damaged in an attack blamed by the military on Farc dissidents in Mondomo, Colombia, on Saturday. Photo: AP
Associated Press

Colombia’s human rights ombudswoman said on Saturday that seven children were killed in a controversial air strike against a rebel group in the country’s south earlier this week, as the administration of President Gustavo Petro steps up efforts to regain control of rural areas in Guaviare province.

In a statement, ombudswoman Iris Marin said the minors killed in the strike against the Farc-EMC rebel group had been forcibly recruited and were being used as “human shields”.

Marin called on the Colombian government and rebel groups in the country to respect international humanitarian law. The public defender had initially said that six minors were killed in the strike, but updated the death toll following a statement from Colombia’s Forensic Medicine institute.

Advertisement

“No child or teenager who has been recruited should be affected by military operations,” Marin said.

“The armed forces must adopt precautions to protect children who have been forced to take part in hostilities.”

Colombia’s President Gustavo Petro speaks at the General Santander Police Academy in Bogota on Thursday. Photo: AFP
Colombia’s President Gustavo Petro speaks at the General Santander Police Academy in Bogota on Thursday. Photo: AFP

Earlier this week, Colombian Defence Minister Pedro Sanchez blamed criminal groups for putting children in danger and told journalists that in his view, “whoever gets involved in hostilities loses protection, without distinction”.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x