Sierra Leone president says calm restored, most leaders of barracks attack detained
- Sierra Leone arrest attackers after assault on strategic army base in the capital Freetown
- The developments in Sierra Leone come after military takeovers in Gabon and Niger this year

Sierra Leone President Julius Maada Bio said most of the leaders of an attack on a military barracks in the capital Freetown earlier on Sunday had been arrested, adding that security operations and an investigation were ongoing.
“We will ensure that those responsible are held accountable,” Bio said on national television.
“As your commander-in-chief, I want to assure everybody who is resident in Sierra Leone that we have overcome this challenge,” he said, and calm had been restored.
Earlier, the government said security forces had repelled “renegade soldiers” who attempted to break into a military armoury in Freetown during the early hours of Sunday.

A nationwide curfew was imposed. Gunfire was heard across the city as the assailants attacked a prison and a police station.