-
Advertisement
Accidents and personal safety
Hong KongSociety

Hong Kong officials launch probe after worker falls to his death at luxury villa

Renovation work suspended after labourer reportedly trips while on canopy, falling three metres into swimming pool in Sheung Shui

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
The Labour Department says it is “highly concerned” about the case at St Andrews Place. Photo: Google Maps
Ng Kang-chung

Hong Kong authorities have ordered the suspension of renovation work at a luxury villa and launched an investigation after a labourer fell to his death from a canopy into a swimming pool.

Police said on Saturday that the 67-year-old had been working on the canopy in an upmarket residential compound in Sheung Shui the day before. He reportedly tripped and fell three metres (9.8 feet) into the pool.

The worker was unconscious when rushed to North District Hospital in Sheung Shui, where he was later certified dead.

Advertisement

The Labour Department said it was “highly concerned” about the case at the St Andrews Place estate.

“We commenced an immediate on-site investigation … and have issued suspension notices to the contractors concerned, suspending the work on the canopy of the detached house concerned,” a department spokesman said.

Advertisement

“The contractors cannot resume the work process until the [department] is satisfied that suitable measures to abate the relevant risks have been taken.”

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x