Apple Daily struggling to stay alive as staff quit in wake of national security law arrests
- With just days to go before tabloid’s possible closure, many workers have already left but some vow to stay until final hours
- Hong Kong leader says US condemnation of raid on company’s offices last week is attempt to ‘beautify acts’ that undermine national security

Hong Kong’s Apple Daily has lost almost half its workforce since its top executives were arrested last week, but those remaining have vowed to carry on until Friday when management is expected to announce the tabloid’s final day.
Among the teams that have packed up and gone were those managing online financial news, English-language coverage, breaking news and video content branded as Apple Action News.
Sections still able to maintain basic operations included local news, courts, features, entertainment, sports and photography, while the roughly 20 employees remaining in the print division were committed to keeping the presses rolling until the final edition of the 26-year-old tabloid on Saturday, they said.
Authorities said more than 30 published articles calling for foreign sanctions were evidence of conspiracy to collude with external forces – an offence under the security law, which also targets acts of secession, subversion of state power and terrorism.