US-linked galleries at Art Basel Hong Kong unfazed by potential trade war impact
Galleries at city’s edition of international art fair say trade war tariffs have not affected buying sentiment among collectors

Galleries with links to the United States that are taking part in Art Basel Hong Kong have said they are unconcerned by the trade war potentially affecting business, adding that they expect sales to improve from last year’s event.
The city’s edition of the international art fair welcomed 240 galleries from 42 countries and regions, a slight drop of two participants from last year.
It is among a string of government-sponsored mega-events grouped under the city’s “Art March” promotional drive.
The event at Wan Chai’s Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre opened to VIPs on Wednesday. Patrons holding public day tickets will be able to attend from 2pm on Friday, before the art fair wraps up on Sunday.
David Zwirner, founder of his eponymous gallery, which operates in New York, Los Angeles, London, Paris and Hong Kong, said he had not observed any effect on business resulting from the US-China trade war.
“All the tariff talk can affect us, of course, but since it’s all been talk so far, nothing has really bitten,” the regular Art Basel Hong Kong participant said, adding that the trade war had also not affected the potential buying sentiment of collectors.