-
Advertisement
China society
China

Tigers involved in fatal attack at Beijing zoo park to remain in enhanced enclosure

Badaling Wildlife World reopens to the public although tour coaches will replace self-drive tours while security is upgraded

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Security footage shows a woman who had left her car at Badaling Wildlife World on July 23, seconds before she was dragged away by a tiger. Photo: AFP
Daniel Zhou

The tigers involved an attack that left one woman dead and her daughter severely injured after they left their car in wildlife park near Beijing in July will be kept “in captivity,” instead of being put down, a spokesman said.

On July 23, a 57-year-old woman was killed by a tiger, and her daughter seriously injured, after they got out of their car in the enclosure, despite there being multiple signs warning visitors to stay inside their vehicles.

Advertisement

The Badaling Wildlife World park in Yanqing district of Beijing, which had been closed since the tragedy while an investigated was conducted, reopened to the public on Thursday, although the tiger enclosure remained closed.

The park has temporarily replaced self-driving tours in the big cat zone with bus tours, Xinhua reported.

Advertisement

The tigers are protected wild animals, and the zoo has no power to kill them,” the spokesman said. Instead, they will remain “in captivity” – meaning, they will still be free to roam around their enclosure which is upgrading security.

Visitors admire a pride of lions at Badaling Wildlife Work near the Great Wall outside Beijing. Photo: AFP
Visitors admire a pride of lions at Badaling Wildlife Work near the Great Wall outside Beijing. Photo: AFP
“The tigers are still free in the captivated areas,” the spokesperson said. “When the tiger zone reopens to the public, everything returned to normal.”
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x