-
Advertisement
Diplomacy
ChinaMilitary

Over 100 countries to send defence officials to China’s Xiangshan security forum

Defence Minister Dong Jun expected to give keynote speech at country’s largest security conference after missing Shangri-La Dialogue

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
1
The Xiangshan Forum is regarded as Beijing’s answer to the Shangri-La Dialogue hosted by Singapore. Photo: AP
Enoch Wong
China will host defence officials from more than 100 countries next week at the Beijing Xiangshan Forum, the country’s largest security conference and widely regarded as Beijing’s answer to the Shangri-La Dialogue.

“More than 100 countries, including Vietnam, Singapore, Russia, France, Nigeria and Brazil, have confirmed their attendance, along with representatives of international and regional organisations,” defence ministry spokesman Senior Colonel Jiang Bin said on Wednesday.

The broad participation “reflects the forum’s inclusiveness and openness”, Jiang added.

Advertisement

China Military Online reported on Thursday that the forum would take place from September 17 to 19 at the China National Convention Centre, co-hosted by the China Association for Military Science and the China Institute of International Strategic Studies.

It said the forum would address safeguarding international order and promoting peaceful development. About 1,800 participants have registered, including delegates, observers and media representatives.

Chinese Defence Minister Dong Jun attends last year’s forum in Beijing. Photo: AFP
Chinese Defence Minister Dong Jun attends last year’s forum in Beijing. Photo: AFP

It is unclear what levels of delegations will attend this year’s event. The defence ministers of Singapore and Vietnam made an appearance last year, as did an American delegation led by Michael Chase, US deputy assistant secretary of defence.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x