-
Advertisement
Malaysia
AsiaSoutheast Asia

Malaysian court frees woman driver charged with killing eight teen cyclists

  • The crash occurred in the early hours of the morning on February 18, 2017 and involved a group of more than 30 youngsters riding modified bicycles
  • No prosecution could be brought because of a failure to investigate the case properly, the magistrate in Johor Baharu said

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
Sam Ke Ting (left, in white) leaving court in Johor Baharu. Photo: The Star Online
The Star

By Remar Nordin

A court in Malaysia has ordered the release of a woman who was arrested two years ago after her car ploughed into a group of teenage cyclists, killing eight of them.

Siti Hajar Ali, a magistrate in Johor Baharu, ruled that the prosecution had failed to provide enough evidence against the accused, 24-year-old Sam Ke Ting, and ordered that her driving licence – which had been suspended following the crash in the early hours of the morning on February 18, 2017 – along with 10,000 ringgit (US$2,389) bail be returned immediately.

Advertisement

In her judgment, Siti Hajar said that after reviewing statements from 46 witnesses, she found that the prosecution had failed to prove a case as the investigation was incomplete.

“The accused could not be prosecuted based on the failure of the investigation officer to investigate the case properly,” she said.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x