-
Advertisement
North Korea
AsiaEast Asia

North Korea threatens dire consequences if Seoul doesn’t stop drone incursions

The warning from Kim Yo-jong could derail President Lee Jae Myung’s efforts to mend ties with Pyongyang

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
1
Images taken on January 4 by North Korea’s official Korean Central News Agency show wreckage of a drone that allegedly originated from South Korea. Photo: KCNA/KNS/AFP
Agence France-Presse
North Korea on Friday threatened a “terrible response” if it detects any more drones buzzing across the border from the South.
South Korean President Lee Jae Myung has sought to repair ties with North Korea since taking office last year, criticising his predecessor for allegedly sending drones to scatter propaganda over Pyongyang.
But North Korea said it shot down a surveillance drone just last month, an incident which threatens to blight Lee’s efforts to patch things up.
Advertisement
Kim Yo-jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, warned of severe repercussions if the drones did not stop.

“I give advance warning that reoccurrence of such provocation as violating the inalienable sovereignty of the DPRK will surely provoke a terrible response,” Kim said in a statement carried by Pyongyang’s official Korea Central News Agency.

Advertisement

“We don’t care who the very manipulator of the drone infiltration into the airspace of the DPRK is and whether it is an individual or a civilian organisation,” she said, using the acronym for North Korea’s official name.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x